Demo Day 2023
Demo Day 2022
Demo Day 2021
Demo Day 2020
Demo Day 2019
Bengaluru: After a successful first edition in 2018, Shell returned with its second edition of Shell E4 Demo Day, the largest Energy Entrepreneurship Conference in India on July 16, 2019 in Bengaluru. The event included a unique gathering of energy focused start-ups along with the attendance of Mr. Arvind Tiwary, Chair, IoT Forum, TiE and Ms. Subhashini Chandran, EVP and Managing Director – India at Xynteo. The day also witnessed the graduation of ten start-ups which were selected by Shell for incubation at the Shell Technology Centre Bangalore in January 2019.
The ten start-ups which include Mobycy, RightWatts, Ziptrax, igrenEnergi, TresMoto, Manastu Space, AutoVRse, LogisticsNow, Maximl and iGarage operate on diverse domains and backgrounds. These start-ups have interesting business models and differentiated product offerings like Battery Management, Digital - AR/VR, Mobility Solutions, Logistics, Energy Management, Operations Efficiency and Energy IOT Applications. While a number of these start-ups are working towards a pilot with Shell businesses, some others are closely working with Shell to co-create customer solutions.
Like last year, Shell E4 continues to bring together technical, financial and technological expertise to help India move a step closer to its desired energy efficiency targets.
Speaking on the occasion, Sada Iyer, Shell Technology Centre Bangalore Leader, said, “At Shell, we constantly strive to strengthen our commitment to partner energy entrepreneurs and take steady steps towards India’s transition to a sustainable tomorrow. We are glad to announce the graduation of the second cohort of the E4 programme and we wish each of the graduating start-ups success in their journey towards a better future. By mentoring these start-ups, we have nurtured and enabled the young energy entrepreneurs to bring innovations in the Indian energy sector. We are hopeful that the next year will see even more diverse energy start-ups striving towards an advanced and sustainable ecosystem with Shell E4.”
With an overall approach to nurture a culture of open innovation, through various programmes like Research Connect, Shell Technology Ventures and Shell E4, Shell endeavors to support, engage and empower start-ups at various stages of their lifecycle. Going forward the programme has an interesting growth journey. Following the larger energy focused cohorts, Shell will also be empowering start-ups under specific themes and sub-sectors and today announced that the 3rd cohort of the E4 programme will focus on digital startups and the 4th cohort will focus on the theme ‘Future of Mobility for India’. The registrations for the 4th cohort are open from July 15 – October 15, 2019.
Mr. James Unterreiner, General Manager, Shell E4 Start-up Hub, said, “Keeping in mind the idea behind introducing Shell E4, we have and shall keep identifying and engaging with start-ups who have the talent and vision to innovate technology that will further accelerate India’s transition to a sustainable energy future. On behalf of Shell, I congratulate each of the start-ups under the second cohort of Shell E4 and wish them the very best in their journey ahead.”
Launched in 2017, Shell E4 programme aims at playing a prominent role in accelerating technologies that are fit for India’s energy transition. Shell Technology Centre Bangalore is one of the few cutting edge R&D centres in India and one of the very few in the energy space. With its world class innovation and technology, the centre is integral to Shell’s core ambition of providing cleaner energy solutions, for India and the world.
One of the company’s three global innovation hubs, the centre, houses the Shell E4 start-ups at a vibrant co-working space for six months. The start-ups are offered a seed funding of USD 20,000 each and access to:
- Prototyping laboratories for product development and testing
- Bootcamps aimed at customer discovery and improving the product
- Top industry mentors and experts
- New markets and interactions with investors and other growth and funding opportunities
Since their graduation last year, the start-ups in the first cohort have witnessed significant growth in their businesses. A noteworthy example is Detect Technologies who have successfully raised Series A funding of $3.3 million from Tier 1 VCs and their cofounders are featured in the Forbes 30 under 30 in both India and Asia. ION Energy’s advanced battery management & intelligence platform is being used by top tier OEMs and Battery Pack Makers in 10+ countries. IoTrek is piloting with 2 Engineering Procurement and Construction (EPC) companies at construction job sites in India and commercially launched product for US market; partnering with General Contractors to deploy the pilot projects.
Startups also have the opportunity to work closely with Shell businesses themselves. For instance, Detect Technologies is working on joint R&D projects with Shell. As alumni of the programme, the startups will continue receiving access to the E4 laboratory, in addition to support from the Shell E4 team for Shell deployment opportunities.
Notes to Editor:
About the Shell E4 2nd cohort:
- RightWatts: RightWatts is building an 'Open Platform for Industrial Apps'. Targeted at industries, buildings, utilities and data centres, their No-Code Platform helps solution providers working in these segments to build, deploy and replicate 'Industrial Apps' at scale. Using the platform, providers can themselves build full stack hardware-to-software complex Industrial Apps leveraging technologies like IoT, Cloud, Analytics & AI. Their 'Industrial Appstore' fosters a market around re-usable Apps (under provider's own brand), enabling distribution of single-App or multiple-App combinations to save money. They are enabling new business models in this market, fundamentally doing what Android did in the Consumer Apps market.
- Manastu Space: Currently, satellites carry a highly toxic and carcinogenic propellant which will be banned by 2021 internationally. Manastu Space, a start-up established on 17th April’17 has designed a green propulsion system consisting of hydrogen peroxide based green propellant, engine associated with it and catalyst providing 40 times less toxicity, 25% higher performance, resulting in up to 30% cost savings for satellite manufacturer.
- Mobycy: MOBYCY is solving India’s last mile connectivity problem during daily commutes between Metro, home and office by providing specially designed electric scooters – Zypp; which can be found on the Mobycy app and unlocked by scanning a QR code to start the ride. Their IoT keyless lock solution can convert any scooter into a smart scooter and they're doing 50K+ monthly rides, thereby reducing cars and making cities more sustainable.
- AutoVRse: Founded on 23 November’16, AutoVRse creates immersive AR/VR environments for a variety of applications such as automotive design reviews, immersive product experience, immersive training, immersive virtual collaboration etc. The solutions provided by the company are platform agnostic.
- igrenEnergi: igrenEnergi has developed a breakthrough Battery Management System which makes feasible the mass adoption of EVs. Our BMS delivers 20-40% improvement in range, charging time & cycle life, and enables business models like battery swapping, rental, off-line charging, and second-life. Our proprietary deep-tech innovations combine advanced power electronics, edge-computing algorithms and IoT + cloud intelligence to energize the mass market viability of EV batteries and EVs.
- Maximl: Maximl is building a new age industrial collaboration platform to streamline last mile communication and rapidly digitalize ground operations to enable real-time decision making and effective collaboration between field and office for industrial workforce. Their flagship product, SyncOps is a smart project management platform that enables real time monitoring of industrial projects including turnarounds and commissioning projects by connecting every stakeholder of the industrial ecosystem, reducing project time and cost. This is powered by a low code workflow management system designed for use cases within process industries to quickly build digital solutions. The product has received traction from Fortune 500 companies including all the Oil & Gas refining majors within India.
- LogisticsNow: LogisticsNow is building the Digital Backbone of global Logistics to help customers develop a stronger technology enabled transportation and logistics business. Their initial focus is on emerging markets like India, where there are significant challenges in terms of lack of business visibility, utilization, transparency and payments.
- TresMoto: TresMoto, start-up established on 1st July’15 is re-imagining the future of mobility. Their first offering is a plug and play scooter for dock less rental and micro-delivery service providers. These are purpose built, connected scooters supported by modern day services and sub-systems. They have unique innovations in their designs and development which lets them price their products at par with petrol.
- Ziptrax: Ziptrax aims to provide low cost, infinitely serviceable battery energy storage to the masses by re-purposing Li-ion batteries for 2nd use applications such as E-mobility and Energy Storage. Based on Ziptrax's proprietary AI and Machine Learning technology that integrates portable hardware with intelligent plug-and-play SaaS. Ziptrax's Batteries provide Superior benefits of Li-Ion Battery while being cost competitive and better replacements for Lead Acid Batteries.
- iGarage: iGarage, recently founded on 1st January’19 is an integrated technology-based marketplace platform that offers convenience, value for money and promise of reliability to fill the gap of customer inconvenience for vehicle lifestyle ownership. Their platform has established brand ecosystem partners managed by multi-industry expertise & entrepreneurs.
About Shell in India
Shell is one of the most diversified international energy companies in India with over 8500 employees and presence across upstream, integrated gas, downstream, renewable energy, and deep capabilities in R&D, digitalization and business operations. With a retail presence across six states – Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Assam Shell is expanding its network of fuel stations across the country. It has the entire Lubricants end-to-end value chain in India, from conceptualization and development, to production and distribution. This includes a world class lubricant oil blending plant with a capacity of more than 115 million litres, a distributor network of more than 185 and over 60,000 retailers across the country. The company also fully owns and operates an LNG re-gasification terminal at Hazira. Through its subsidiary, BG Exploration and Production India Limited, Shell holds a 30% interest in, and is joint operator of the Panna - Mukta oil and gas fields. With a focus on digitization and future ready sustainable solutions, the company is nurturing a vibrant ecosystem in India to accelerate energy innovations with Shell E4 for startups, Shell Eco-marathon and investments in new energy companies like Husk Power and Cleantech Solar. Shell also remains committed to making positive contributions to the communities in which it operates through programmes like NXplorers, Access to Energy and Road Safety across India. Follow @shell_India @makethefuture @shell_ecomar to know how it is redefining the energy space.
Royal Dutch Shell plc
Royal Dutch Shell plc is incorporated in England and Wales, has its headquarters in The Hague and is listed on the London, Amsterdam, and New York stock exchanges. Shell companies have operations in more than 70 countries and territories with businesses including oil and gas exploration and production; production and marketing of liquefied natural gas and gas to liquids; manufacturing, marketing and shipping of oil products and chemicals and renewable energy projects. For further information, visit www.shell.com.
Shell India Media Relations
Priyanka.firstname.lastname@example.org +91 9910385564
Demo Day 2018
The Demo Day Event is a graduation event for Shell E4 Cohort companies and is envisioned to provide a platform for the Shell E4 companies to showcase themselves to members of the energy start-up ecosystem.
The event brings together key members of the entrepreneurship ecosystem in India and abroad and provides a full day of interactive sessions, workshops, panel discussions, booth walks and networking opportunities. The event is held at the Shell Technology Centre, Bengaluru.
Please watch the highlights of Demo Day 2018 here.
In 2019, Demo Day will be held on July 16 that the Shell Technology Centre Bangalore. Keep watching this space for more updates and registration information.